Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
A 22-year-old Florida man fatally shot a 37-year-old who allegedly attacked him inside a Fort Pierce-area mobile home, according to authorities.
The shooting happened around 9 p.m. last Wednesday at the Seminole Mobile Home Park on Orange Avenue.
The two men knew each other and had been involved in an ongoing dispute, St. Lucie County Sheriff Richard Del Toro said. Their disagreement reportedly included verbal arguments, threatening text messages and written threats.
The dispute eventually reached the younger man’s home. Authorities say the 37-year-old entered the residence and a physical altercation followed.
SEE ALSO: S&W 632 Review: Six Shots, Almost No Bulk
“The victim disengaged from the deceased, pulled out a handgun and shot one time,” Del Toro said. “The threat was over.”
The 22-year-old’s sister and girlfriend were also inside the mobile home when the shooting occurred. Investigators identified the shooter, but authorities have not released either man’s name.
News 12 reported that the girlfriend of the man who died called for justice and said their 5-year-old son had lost his father.
No charges have been filed against the shooter.
Del Toro said the case could ultimately be classified as a stand-your-ground shooting. However, he emphasized that deadly force must be used in self-defense by someone who fears for his life.
The State Attorney’s Office will review the evidence and determine whether the 22-year-old acted lawfully or should face criminal charges.
Stay tuned for updates.
Self-defense doesn’t end when the threat goes down. That’s when the real battle begins. Lawyers. Prosecutors. Headlines. USCCA Members never fight that battle alone. Find out how.
*** Buy and Sell on GunsAmerica! ***
